Monday 17 January 2011

Diamond Weddings and Crochet Cake



This is my wonderful mum, she taught me to crochet, knit, sew and cook. She is always there for me, no matter how old I get sometimes all I want is a hug from my mum and the reassurance that all will be well.
She won't thank me for this but she is rapidly approaching 80 years old and has recently crocheted a shawl for her first great granddaughter. There was a shawl for her great grandson, shawls for my children, my sister's children. There was the beautiful swinging crib that was passed down through all 4 of us on the births of our children. A crocheted basket for my flower girl at my wedding, crocheted pictures for my daughter, her house is full of crocheted curtains, chair backs and doillies all made by her fair hands. She is also an ace cake decorator which neatly brings me on to the purpose of this post. On March 24th this year her and my fantastic dad will be celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary.


Mum and Dad on their Wedding Day
 
After much brain drain trying to come up with a unique present for them, as you can imagine after so many years together they really don't need much, except perhaps better hearing! I finally decided to crochet them a replica of their wedding cake. Oh easier said than done, today I have bought some plain white cotton to crochet the top circles and the sides for the 'cakes' one will be 10" across one 8" and the smallest 6". I will then take the smallest of the cakes to my local wool shop and decide what textures of wool I want to use for the 'icing'. Now their original wedding cake was decorated with royal icing or as my mum recently described it my daughter rock icing, as it was apparantly too hard to eat. My Grandad, on my mum's side made and decorated the cake, he was a baker and as far as I am aware he never had to go to war as Britain needed its bakers. I am sure my mum will correct me if I am wrong, when she finally gets to read this.


Some brainstorming with George and various friends and now, I am about ready to start this project. I know what the icing is like, I am not sure about the cup holding the flowers at the top and my mum could only help by saying it was something they bought for the top of the cake. As usual I don't have anything written down, just a final picture in my head, so there is going to be plenty of artistic licence and I dare say alot of frustrations along the way, but I really am looking forward to doing this and if it makes my mum and dad smile and remember their wedding day fondly, then ever second of those frustrations will be worth it.

Blessings and peace
Loz x




1 comment:

  1. I wish your mother and father a very nice Diamond Wedding from Tenerife!!!

    ReplyDelete